The Scenic Acres LEAF program (Landscape Enhancement Appreciation Fund) began in June 2013 after 69.7% of home owners in Scenic Acres signed a petition in 2012 to adopt the program. A full history of the LEAF program can be found HERE.
This annual special tax in the amount of $60 per residence is collected by the City of Calgary. This amounts to $174,300 and is further supplemented by the funds allocated annually to our community under the City’s annual Parks budget. These funds are spent entirely in Scenic Acres to take care of our public green spaces. Our annual special tax amount of $60 per residence has not changed since program implementation in 2013. The Scenic Acres LEAF work program is overseen by the LEAF Committee comprised of resident volunteers. This committee reports to the SACA Board. The City’s Parks department was engaged as our service provider for the past 5 years but City Council has decided that starting in 2018 the Parks department will no longer be providing these services and LEAF communities must engage third party service providers.
Through year end 2017 the Scenic Acres LEAF program has addressed the following needs:
1. Our community public green spaces have received the following services:
- bi-weekly cuts and trims;
- turf repairs as needed;
- annual weed control as per City review;
- aeration and fertilizer application as needed;
- garbage clean-up from public green spaces.
2. Beautification has been achieved through flower displays as follows:
- 33 planters purchased and located throughout the community;
- 15 in-ground gardens developed throughout the community;
- design, planting and maintenance of the planters and gardens;
- planter winter displays;
- shrub pruning on a revolving schedule.
3. In addition, the following services have been provided:
- spring cleanup of road material from boulevards;
- fall cleanup at the end of the growing season;
- waste collection from public bins throughout the year;
- public tree well maintenance including mulch.
The 2017 year-end LEAF financials are available HERE.
The City of Calgary requires the after the fifth year of a program LEAF communities must hold an in-person vote to reaffirm participation in the program. Program details can be found HERE.
The Scenic Acres LEAF reaffirmation vote will be held on Sunday January 14 at 1:00pm in the SACA Main Hall. Additional details can be found HERE.
Questions regarding the Scenic Acres LEAF program are welcome; comments and ideas from the community at large are valued and appreciated. These can be directed to email@example.com.
Last updated January 5, 2018